Tuesday, 1 November 2016

Nov. 4/16 - Thoughts on Tattoos

As I read through Katharine Schwab’s article on the topic of tattoos, I was inclined to think about my personal feelings on this type of art and whether it should be on my body or not. Here are my thoughts.

When I think about tattoos, the first thing to come to my mind (besides body art) is the verse in Leviticus that talks about tattooing your body: “You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead, nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord” (Leviticus 19:28, NASB). 

I recently heard a speaker talk about searching for timeless truths in Scripture, using Deuteronomy 22:8 as a framework for this principle. The verse talks about building a parapet (barrier) on the edges of your roof so people don’t fall off. In Near Eastern culture, roofs were usually flat. These flat roofs would be used as a cooler place to entertain guests in the evening. Parapets protected people from getting hurt.

So should we then build parapets on all of our houses here in Canada? Probably not. But the timeless principle here is that you are to care for the people on your property. 

Of course we can’t find a timeless principle for every single command from God in the Law. In terms of tattooing our bodies, I think it is important that we honour God with our bodies. 1 Corinthians 6 talks about our bodies being a temple of the Holy Spirit, so we are to glorify God with our bodies. I think this principle applies to how we talk, what we fill our minds with, what we wear, as well as what we decide to put on our bodies.

Tattoos can represent a testimony. Katharine Schwab says, “More than just beautiful designs, [tattoos are] reminders of the unique stories that can be told on human skin.” Body art presents people with an incredible opportunity to reach people and share about the hope they have in Jesus. 

To close, will I get a tattoo? No. But I do think tattoos are acceptable and can bring honour and glory to God when used correctly.

1. Schwab, Katharine.  "Highbrow Ink."  The Atlantic (December 3, 2015). http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/12/tattoos-high-art/416769/



No comments:

Post a Comment