It is interesting that Lauren Winner points out in “Wearing God” the attentiveness of Moses to the burning bush (Winner, 2682). This is something I have not thought of before. We know that Moses struggled to speak. With this in mind, I would argue God selected Moses to lead his people out of Egypt not for his ability to speak, but rather his ability to observe. Winner writes, “Only after God saw that Moses had stood long enough to notice the bush in its unconsuming fire did God call out to him” (Winner, 2682). God chose someone who was going to listen well and had the attentiveness to hear God clearly. These were some thoughts that came to me as I read the eighth chapter of Lauren Winner’s book.
Upon reading this bit from “Wearing God,” I questioned my own listening skills and attentiveness to God. Am I listening to what God is trying to tell me?
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about this topic. A quality I want to develop in myself is the awareness of God’s voice. I want to be able to understand what God is looking for from me in a given situation. For example, as I continue in my role as Head Care Group Leader in dorm this school year, I want to hear from God how he wants me to encourage someone or challenge them, and then respond to that. I believe that this communication comes from the Holy Spirit and that God will work through me whether I am aware of it or not. However, I do want to improve that awareness and intentionally seek what God wants from me as I continue to pursue God and grow in my relationship with him.
1. Winner, Lauren F. 2015. Wearing God: Clothing, Laughter, Fire and Other Overlooked Ways of Meeting God. New York: Harper Collins. Kindle.
No comments:
Post a Comment