Thursday, 6 October 2016

Oct. 7/16 - Like David

There are times in my life where I feel as though I am distant from God. Other time I feel like He is standing right beside me. I often wonder why that is. In the moments I feel distant from God I might ask Him where He is. 

In a way, I am comforted by the fact that even David, King of Israel, author of many of the Psalms we read daily, and arguably one of the most godly people we read about in the Bible, felt distant from God at times. Steve Turner highlights Psalms 6-10, noting that each one holds a different tone despite how close together they are in Scripture. He says, “The psalms that comfort are very often the ones that show that even ‘a man after God’s own heart’ like David could get mad with God and feel let down” (71). This thought reminded me that I am not the only one who has this experience.

Lately, though, I have been understanding more and more that, no matter what I feel, God is present. Jesus promises at the end of the Gospel of Matthew, “And behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20b, ESV). This has been something of great value to me as I get older and continue to learn how live a godly life, trying to live like David, “a man after God’s own heart” (1 Samuel 13:14).
  1. Turner, Steve. 2001. Imagine: A Vision for Christians in the Arts. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment