Tuesday, 20 September 2016

Sept. 23/16 - Bringing Light to the Darkness

I appreciated the short excerpt from Hilary Brand’s book Art & Soul. I was encouraged by Brand when I read her thoughts on reconciliation. She speaks about how, as Christians, we are not to abandon something because of sin that may lurk within it. Instead we are to “invite God’s redeeming presence into it” and bring light to its darkness (Brand 2001, 61). I could relate to this statement quite a bit.

In my setting right now at Steinbach Bible College I see hints of Jesus all around. I live in a community that is filled with students who have decided to commit one or multiple years of their life to specifically to study the Word of God (not to mention the staff and faculty). I am surrounded by people who are pursuing righteousness and are striving to be more like God everyday.

When I go home to Winnipeg, however, my context changes a little bit. In the spring, summer, and fall months I enjoy riding my bicycle around the city. As I toured around Winnipeg this summer on my single-speed two-wheeler, God opened my eyes to the brokenness that inhabits my hometown. Daily I was reminded that this city needs to experience the love that God has for them, and daily I was left with a burden for these people; these image-bearers of God.

This portion of Brand’s book encourages Christians to live out the grace that God has shown us and reflect that to others, as well as to shine the light of Christ in the dark places of our world. As someone who has a desire to serve someday in a community that needs to experience grace, I was encouraged by her message.


1. Brand, Hilary and Adrienne Chaplin. 2001. Art & Soul: Signposts for Christians in the Arts. Carlisle, CA: IVP Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment